Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:20:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

Quoth Tom on Mon, 29 September:
:
:   The Pentium division bug was fixed long ago.  And Intel gave free
: replacements to everyone.

Yes.  Similarly, by all reports, the K6 bug is fixed, and free
replacements are available.  I have to wonder whether Intel would have
offered the free replacements if the division bug had not been so well
publicized, but can only speculate and/or compare past vendor
behaviour.

:   What?  The "make world" problems were VERY serious.  Simple operations
: in gcc were being preformed incorrectly sometimes, causing core dumps.
: Such failures appeared in all kinds of other software as well.

Well, not all kinds.  I understand that the various flavors of Windows
are not known to demonstrate the bug.  Seriousness in real-world terms
means loss of life/limb/property.  Wasted time is one form of partial
loss of life, and certainly having to type 'make world' again is a
waste of time, but a floating-point error in an embedded system could
crash your airliner or slam your missile into a hospital.  Again,
relatively weighting the seriousness of the bugs in practice, I'd have
to say that the major losses incurred in each case were those of the
manufacturer.  Certainly Intel lost more money on the division bug,
but then they made more on the sales in the first place.  The whole
issue seems pretty subjective/hypothetical: No actual airliners ever
used a pentium in a critical component to my knowledge, or if they did
(hah!), they didn't crash because of it, thankfully.  Of course an
integer error is not intrinsically less likely to cause a control
failure than a floating-point error, in favor of your point.  I guess
the issue is kind of like benchmarking -- unless you benchmark
performance against your specific application, results are unreliable;
similarly, correctness.  Since are larger proportion of the Pentium
user base (DOS/Windows users) were affected by the division bug, one
might reasonably chose to argue on those grounds that the division bug
was more serious.