Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:03:48 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best wdc0 flags ?

Mike Smith wrote:

> > The natoma apparently pushes the timing to the limit, and crappy
> > drives can't keep up (btw all my Maxtors works just fine)...
>
> If we can confirm this, then it would be wise to add a quirk entry for
> the Quantums, and go forward with the 32-bit transfer as default.

Thus far they are working OK under 3.0-CURRENT (as of 15th(ish) of April) -
and I'm using "flags 0xa0ffa0ff", which I beleive is bus-mastering 32 bit
"max. multisector" the drive will negotiate for...

They survived a 5gb 'restore' from tape, and a 3gig dump to another SCSI
drive...

If I put them back in my 2.2.6 system and go for 32 bit / multi-sector -
they barf...

If I run them on 2.2.6 with just multi-sector - there happy...

I guess this doesn't really help much :-)

Both my 2.2.6 and 3.0 systems are running 440FX chipsets...

I guess if were talking defaults for 3.0 I'd say 32 bit is probably OK...

Kp