Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:07:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

>  > >I do have to say that I have an order of magnitude more trust in the
>  > >aha2940 driver, and on my ability to get a bug fixed when I need it
>  > >(Hi Justin!  Thanks for the _GREAT_ support!!) by sending the broken
>  > >hardware to Justin and giving him some time to work on it.
>
> Well, that really would help ...
> Why did I never receive a single piece of broken hardware to be able
> to reproduce a problem somebody sees with a single disk, tape or CDROM
> drive.

Simple economics, it cost me less than $25.00 to overnight a drive and
controller combination down to Justin, $50.00 round trip as I usually
have him bill the return shipment to my accounts.  It would cost me
on the order of $87.00 each way to ship to you, plus there is the whole
export/import/VAT and other taxes situation.

It is very hard to get past VAT as you have to deal with temporary export/
import paper work and all sorts of other oddities.  It also takes me 5
minutes to prep a shipment to Justin, it would take close to an hour to
prep an international temporary export.

I make very little money selling SC-200 cards at $75.00 a piece there
just isn't much margin in them.

> This makes me wonder (again), whether I really should spend $1000
> on the necessary hardware, and time worth some $10000 or more (if I
> spent it on paid work) just to allow other people to use the latest
> 53c8xx variants (Ultra-WIDE), who then complain about a NCR driver
> bug, whenever some VM system tuning introduces temporal instability :)

Don't make me laugh... I've probably invested well into the 6 digits
of time and money into FreeBSD in one way or another.  I am sure David,
John, Jordan, Poul, Julian, and a fist full of others are in the same
situation.