Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:31:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/34487: ASUS P2B-DS Problem (Close Request)

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:22:00 PST, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> Hmm, It would fit better in the FAQ, but I h've seen
> people who resort to the Handbook when they encounter
> installation or other problems.

Ah, then perhaps that's another issue to be addressed.

I think the Handbook should be the canonical resource that offers, for
any given issue, the information most folks are going to need.

Cases like the one in this PR, where a common but silly mistake or
known-flakey hardware cause problems, should be documented in the FAQ.

Sections of the Handbook that have handed over documentation of such
cases to the FAQ, should refer to the FAQ.

That's how I see it.

So I think this particular case should be documented in the
Troubleshooting or Installation section of the FAQ, and the Installation
section of the Handbook should refer to the FAQ for "more information on
common problems encountered during installation".

I'm not a -doc god, so it'd probably be worth checking that this world
view is congruent with the direction the -doc project is heading in. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.