Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:36:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      fn@radio-do.de
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/1390: Feedback from 2.1.5R update over 2.1-stable

>Number:         1390
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       feedback from 2.1.5R update over 2.1-stable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
 Landgrafenstr. 130			dg3dcn   http://www.radio-do.de/~fn/
 44139 Dortmund	    Powered by FreeBSD  Fax: +49 231 7213816
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	486/40MHZ 32MB Adaptec 1542CF 2.1G disk

	I did an upgrade from 2.1-stable to 2.1.5R this night.
	So far this procedure went through very smooth.

	Very good work. Thanks a lot for that.

	There are just three minor points I want to mention.

	1. The update procedure should ask for old kernel config files
	in /sys/i386/conf and give the possibilty to compile a custom
	kernel. I was very glad that I copied my custom config file
	into a save place. I am now running my custom kernel in the
	actual configuration more or less since old 1.1 times.

	2. While telling about all the files from /etc like rc or
	rc.i386 I didn't see rc.local. I put some code like start of
	the linux emulator in this place, what had worked so far. Now
	the linux emulator is startet from rc.i386. This should be
	made more clear.

	3. There should be a way to detect the mount points during
	partition setup. Sysinstall could detect this like fsck did
	with its 'last mounted on /var' message. That would it make
	easier. Since I didnt know my partitions that good, I just
	wrote down the information from the last actual fstab.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Just do an upgrade :-)

>Fix:

	These points should at least make it into documentation. I
	know that upgrading is not a major point so far, but it take
	my just two hours. A full backup, install and restore cycle
	would have last a day.