Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:05:22 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor default fonts in Firefox

On 12/27/17 09:45, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:09:34 -0000 (UTC), Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> You install a new FreeBSD machine with a graphics display, install
>> the xorg and firefox ports on it, all default options, start browsing
>> the web... and you see that some sites (e.g. http://www.bbc.com/news)
>> are presented with pixelated fonts like something out of the 1990s.
>>
>> What do you do?
>
> You install the recommended font packages. :-)
>
> Yes, xorg itself comes with certain fonts, but thpse aren't
> really suitable for web browsing. adding the webfonts package
> improves visual presentation a lot.

Another issue is that because individual pages can choose their own
fonts, pages which look fine in the browser may not print fine if
your printer doesn't know how to deal with the pages' choice of fonts.
At least that's what I think I was seeing.  I got around this by
clearing the checkbox in Preferences/General/Fonts&Colors/Advanced
that says "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your
selections above".

Maybe I just don't care what the fonts look like, as long as I can
read them.  What I really can't deal with is not being able to read
the printed page on the rare occasion I do that.

Gary