Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 17:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * In the same way that many C programs do different things based upon the
>  * release date of the OS, could we add a version or release date variable to
>  * bsd.port.mk ?
>
> This is not necessarry -- look at the top port.  Basically, "sysctl -n
> kern.osreldate" is all you need.

That's the OS date.  I'm thinking of the version of bsd.port.mk that they
have.

Example: The changes for the INSTALL_ macros, or the man page
compression, or the upcoming (I hope) DEPENDS_TARGET stuff.  A certain
port is always failing because it requires these new features.  In the
specific port makefile, the maintainer can check BSD_PORT_MK_REL to see if
they can expect the features to be there, and tailor their install
depending on the result.

That way people who just sup ports and never get updates to stuff in
/usr/share/mk will not be able to make new ports, but will be told "Time
to Upgrade!"

This could also be done as a Makefile.inc in the top level ports/
directory.  What I'm thinking of is something where Makefile.inc has this
:

.if( ${BSD_PORT_MK_REL} < ${BSD_PORT_MK_REL_REQ} )
	echo "You don't have the required version of bsd.port.mk.  Please"
	echo "grab version ${BSD_PORT_MK_REL_REQ}."
.endif

In the port's Makefile, you'd put

#
# $Id$