Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:36:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI & multiport FastEthernet cards

sbabkin@dcn.att.com writes:
| The second question is related. Do those 4-port FastEthernet cards
| use separate interrupt per each port ? Is it possible to make
| them using one interrupt ?

This is a function of the BIOS, setup your BIOS to use only one
interrupt but why would you want to do that.  Here we use 3 quad
ethernet cards in a few servers.  I just setup the BIOS not to use the
interrupts that are being used with ISA and then let it sort things
out.  I did have some trouble with early BIOS's on the ASUS XP55T2P4
motherboards but the newer ones work just fine.  The problem was that
with all the cards in the machine the BIOS would hang at PNP initialization.

Another issue I've had with the Adaptec cards 2143 based & Quad 10/100 cards
is that I need to do a tcpdump on the interface to get the card to work.
The scenario is
      -	ping to host (doesn't work)
      -	tcpdump -i <interface>
      -	the ping now starts to works.