Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:03:06 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Where to put the CD on an IDE system?

	Put the CD-Rom on a chain by itself, and put the two hard drives on a
single chain.

	Why?  This generally keeps the I/O stream from slowing down any time that
the CD-Rom drive is polled.  If the CD-Rom is only going to be used for
installing the OS, why not remove it entirely before putting the system into
production?  That way, you can put each drive on it's own controller, which
would maximize your throughput even further.

--- Andy