Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:58:36 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   General Buildworld request

Whenever I run buildworld, buildkernel, mergemaster, installworld or
installkernel I use tee to redirect the output to a log file in case
I need to troubleshoot a problem or check what was updated.
I also timestamp the beginning of the process by sending the output
of 'date' to the top of each logfile.

For some time now, the kernel build process has internally echoed the
start time at the beginning of the process.

Since I have to think that knowing how long the build process takes
is interesting to most people who have to keep machines updated, is
it too much to ask that "buildworld" adopt the same practice as
"buildkernel" and echo a timestamp at the beginning, so I don't have
to do it manually each time in order to track how long the process
takes? (stamping the end might also be handy, although by default one
can just look at the file timestamp, unless it gets changed for some
reason)

Thx,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium