Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:12:06 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manager's response re: FreeBSD

Hi, Joe -

I echo the sentiment about a cool boss.

As a company owner myself, I'd like to suggest a few more thoughts to
share with him. First, it takes a lot fewer sysadmins to run a BSD
network than an NT one. Even more so, if you can put the end users on
BSD with Applix rather than Dozo because then all the user machines can
be centrally admin'd as well. My experience has been that BSD has a much
steeper setup-time expense but a much smaller down-the-road admin cost.

Second, with BSD you very rarely need console access. My SysAdmin is
Ukrainian, and as a 19-year-old kid he knows enough to be writing
articles about cracking techniques for TechRepublic.com. The fall of the
USSR has created a tremendous window of opportunity for global
enterprise thinking, and this is one of the more pleasant aspects of it.

--
Donald Wilde                        "Linking Minds and Micros"