Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:23:35 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware problems

Mike-Smith> This is obviously a really weird case; possibly either an
Mike-Smith> extremely narrow race, or some very borderline PCI issue.
Mike-Smith> One question I should have asked, but don't recall whether
Mike-Smith> you answered; are you using an AMD K7 system by any
Mike-Smith> chance?  We've seen some *very* weird behaviour with these
Mike-Smith> controllers in some K7 systems.

Mike-Tancsa> Just a shot in the dark, but could be something to do
Mike-Tancsa> with the hard drives themselves ?  Are these not the same
Mike-Tancsa> units that people have been having problems with across
Mike-Tancsa> the board on various OSes and IDE controllers ? e.g. see
Mike-Tancsa> the thread

Mike-Tancsa> Subject: Re: 2GB limit on gzip?
Mike-Tancsa> on questions@freebsd.org.

Mike-Tancsa> Different issue, but same model of drives (4 IBM 75GB
Mike-Tancsa> DTLA) I have been using only Quantum IDEs on all my boxes
Mike-Tancsa> save for a few 40 gig Maxtors on part of my news spool.

Doug> I read those articles also. The troube is, all of our recent IDE
Doug> drive purchases have been the IBM DTLA drives. :( We thought
Doug> they were good drives. Until this, we *never* had a problem with
Doug> them. We really don't have any other IDE disks around to try.

Doug> I just copied a 5GB file and then did a cmp of the two,
Doug> identical. I'll start a loop of coping the file and comparing
Doug> them and let it run over night.

I've now copied that 5GB file 30 times, and each time compared it to
the original, and each time both the original and the copy were
identical. I don't think this smells like the problem others are
having with the IBM drives and an ATA-100 controller.