Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas McIntyre <temac@yahoo.com>
To:        noname2796@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: VERY stupid n00b thing to do

Jesse,

>Then I did it the correct way and just copied the
>generic kernel config and only added the options
>QUOTA line that I needed.

I'm not really a freebsd guru, but an incrementally
more correct way might be to look at your `dmesg`
and comment out device drivers and options you don't
need.  That way you can also optimize the kernel
to 686, strip it down, and put a different id on
it then "GENERIC".

You might also want to check you /etc/make.conf file,
too, to make sure you are using the most suitable
compilation options.  In particular, you should
consider fetching ports and synchronizing source
from a local mirror.

You show know how to cvsup source to a stable
release as well as the recommended make kernel,
make world, mergemaster sequence.  There are example
cvsup files under /usr/share/examples/cvsup/.  I
usually pick one, modify it slightly, move it
/etc and then modify /etc/make.conf to use it.

If you're on the intranet, you'll want to know how
to do this to keep your machine properly patched.
Instructions can be found in the handbook as well as
in the Makefile under /usr/src.

I believe there's a port that will fetch binary
security patches, but most of the fun with freebsd
is getting to work directly with the source!

Good luck, I've found freebsd the most fun 'nix to
work with so far, so you're def on the right track.

Tom McIntyre