Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:43:05 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        archive@in-design.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS wows

"ARCHIVE" wrote:
> 	We have an install where there are multiple fbsd boxes. Now to make lif
> simple for kernel rebuilds and the like I nfs mount from one machine. This
> machine has the ports and the src and for added comfort the user
> directories. At first this seamed like a great idea but it is turning out to
> be a night mare. When the nfs server "disappears" for what ever reason, all
> the client services seam to hang. That includes login, web, ssh, named...
> nothing works. Is there a way to make it so that if that partition
> disappears the machines don't become hosed?
> Thanks
> Tamer

Try `man amd`
Amd automatically mounts file systems ... & unmounts on timeout.
I switched to using Amd to avoid similar problems to yours.
I'll send you my config as examples if you request it.

There are many international readers on FreeBSD lists, whose first language
is neither English nor American.  To avoid making their reading un-necessarily
difficult, it's best to keep the language genericly english, & avoid local
dialects & mis-spellings (try using /usr/ports/textproc/ispell).

Explantions of misleading spellings & mapping dialect to generic:
	NFS wows (1A)		-->	NFS woes (1B)
	seamed (2A)		-->	seemed (2B)
	night mare (3A)		-->	nightmare (3B)
	become hosed (4A)	-->	freeze/hang  (4B)
1A	Wow!: An exclamation
1B	Woe: Bad luck, despair, as in "Woe betide he who is caught ...."
	(generaly used in old fashioned Enlish phrases).
2A	Seam: 2 layers of material, at the join.
2B	Seem: Appear
3A	Night Mare: A female horse at night.
3B	Nightmare: A horrible dream.
4A	Hosed: American dialect, but is Not English, not generic.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
Munich Unix Consultant.		Free BSD Unix with 3600 packages & sources.