Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:14:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make release produces unbootable boot floppies, no boot loader, no /kernel

>From: "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
>Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:54:36 -0500 (EST)

>   If you really want to make things easier for the beginner, why
>not provide a DOS boot program. Then you wouldn't even have to
>worry about boot floppies. Tell new folks to copy the boot program
>to the DOS partition and run it from DOS. Case closed. No boot
>floppy required. I can imagine half a dozen ways to make this work.

Although I'll cheerfully admit that I'm probably in the minority in this
respect, such an approach would do me not one whit of good, since, given
a desired objective, I have no idea how to make MS-DOS accomplish it.
(I'm coming at FreeBSD with no background in PCs at all, about 12+ years
working with UNIX, about 12 years as an IBM mainframe (MVS) systems
programmer, and some years before that of various other types of systems.
In my (somewhat limited) experience, when I've tried to use MS-DOS for
anything, more than half the time either the application or the machine
would hang or crash; thus, I'd be hard-pressed to advocate reliance upon
that mechanism for anything of perceived importance.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621