Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 05:02:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Since the rumors are flying anyway...

Hey Amiga fans!

DUX/M&W has released their version of SimCity for FreeBSD as a 15 minute
play-limited demo.  If you want to play longer, you call the number and
buy a key for $49.95.. :-).

	Their site:

		ftp://ftp.dfw.net/pub/SimCity/scl_bsd_3.6b.tar.Z

	Our site:

		ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/commercial/SimCity-3.6b.tar.Z

Anyway, it looks pretty slick and I myself have already purchased two
copies.. :-)

Yes, that's also a new commercial section on wcarchive you see.. :-)
I'm working on that now.

HOWEVER:  CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT CAVEAT

The reason I'm not raising more fuss and fanfare over this in
announce@FreeBSD.org and comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce is simple:

I'm trying to get one more revision out of them before really goes fully
"public" with it.  There are a couple of prominent mentions of the UN*X
word, and while I certainly don't think it's critical lawsuit material it
would still be nice if they fixed it.  There's also the very _slight_
possibility that the porting guy might do audio support at the same time,
but I'm not recommending that anybody hold their breath on that at all
(it would be nice, but let's not push it! :-).  I'm working to help in any
way I can if he does decide to do that, however.

Ordinarily this situation would mean that I wouldn't even say anything about
SimCity yet, but since the guy's planning to do "one last build" soon and
they've put it up for public access on their own ftp site anyway,
I figured it might not be a bad idea if people got a chance to feed back to
them NOW rather than later on any remaining problems.

So give the demo a whirl, order a copy if you really like it (I don't care,
I don't get a percentage :-) and let them know ASAP of any problems you have
installing or running it!  Their email address pops up in the "about" window.

If I don't get another release from them in about 2 weeks (and this is somewhat
likely, given their apparent workload) then I'll just send out the
announcement text they sent me and assume that this version is going to be
what we end up going with.

						Jordan