Date:      Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:17:40 +0000
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Oracle cloud and Altra CPUs

On July 2, 2021 11:51:13 AM UTC, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@freebsd=2Eorg> wrot=
e:
>Hi,
>
>I wrote some notes on how far I got with Oracle & arm64 Altra systems=2E
>
>Oracle is offering free** arm64 VMs, up to 4 cores & 24GiB of RAM, so
>this is a very attractive platform for people who are currently fiddling
>with RasbPi sized build systems=2E
>
>We already know from elsewhere(tm) that the Altra cpu boots FreeBSD
>13=2E0-RELEASE happily, so this is largely about muddling around in OCI=
=2E

>https://people=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/~dch/posts/2021-07-02-oci-bringup=2Ehtml
>
>hopefully there's enough info in here for others to get further along=2E

The issue is

virtio_pci1: <VirtIO PCI (modern) SCSI adapter>

failing to attach=2E

The virtio modern driver is pretty new, it probably needs some fix to work=
 on arm64=2E=2E

Interesting how the VM offers a fallback virtio-legacy device for the netw=
orking but not the storage=2E

I might investigate if I find the time=2E