Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:11:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Greg Smith <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   fixed. Re: why would my laptop suddenly start failing to probe   pccards?

well, wtf.

i realized that i had not played an important card in this game. i had not
removed the battery and unplugged the power supply yet.

this computer seems to never really turn itself off, u have to shoot it
*and* put a stake thru it's heart to get it to really die.

as soon as i removed all power, and then reapplied power. it succeeded in
probing and finding the cards.

i knew there had to be a solution somewhere, this is a deterministic
universe right?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Greg Smith wrote:

> John,
>
> I guess it's time for a boot -v dmesg.

i'll remember the boot -v for later

> Maybe Windows and the BIOS have conspired to change some internal
> settings on you?  Does the Windows Device Manager look like what you
> would expect, for IRQ's, Memory Range etc.?

and i'll go look and see what windows sez now that it's working and also
look when it *isnt* and see what has changed, this might be of some use.

tnx again for your thoughtful help!

johnu