Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 19:26:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/5296

I think I should also chime in here at this point to note that many of
the PRs which phk considered "informational" were moved into a
suspended state with the express intention of then moving the
suspended PRs en-masse to the control of a _different system_ in the
future, a system better suited to tracking problems of a less critical
but nonetheless important nature.  Any PRs marked closed which are
felt by their submitters to have continued merit can also be
transfered just as easily as suspended ones - what we simply need is a
better system of organizing all of them.

I can also tell you most emphatically that GNATs is *not* such a
system and has major shortcomings when it comes to managing many
thousands of PRs, especially over the long-term.  As phk already said,
we're now having problems with the sheer number of PRs totally
obscuring some of the really important ones, leading to serious
problems going unfixed for far longer periods than necessary, and that
is ALSO a significant problem - you can't shoot down one solution as
unworkable without exacting significant penalties elsewhere.

To put it another way, we are drowning in PR entries with a system
that offers no life-preservers, and something had to be done in the
short term to allow us to at least address the priority 1 PRs we've
accumulated and, in many cases, neglected for months.

It seems that with all the java weenies we have out there, we could
get *somebody* to write us a little web-based "long term PR" manager
with better support for searching, indexing and threading together
(maybe even visually, that would be nifty) the long-running commentary
that seems to distinguish our longer-term and frequently religious
PRs.  Then we could let these issues hang around for as long as people
wanted them to, perhaps even doing a better job of matching up people
looking for work with work that needed doing from the PR database.
Hey, a man can dream, can't he? :-)

- Jordan