Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 97 10:14:29 GMT
From:      Tim Bissell <tjb@fnbc.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   up-to-date gcc  on 2.1.x  (was Re: FreeBSD Newbie...)

Doug White wrote:

First off, thanks for all your help Doug, you provide a sterling service!

>> And how can i upgrade the gcc/libc/libg++ ? Can I ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu
>> the src and compile them ?
>
>No, you cannot; there are many FreeBSD-specific fixes in gcc that make it
>uncompilable by normal mortals directly from distribution.  If you felt
>sadistic you could checkout the gcc source from the FreeBSD source tree
>and build it yourself, but I think that upgrading using the normal method
>would save you many headaches and lots of aspirin.

This is not entirely true; you can install a later release of gcc
*as gcc* without too much pain; just don't try and upgrade the system
C compiler 'cc'!

I have installed gcc 2.7.2.1 and 4.1.6 gdb in /usr/local to allow me
to compile and debug GNUstep programs, and after one patch to a GNU
header file (available on request), they coexist peacefully.

Tim