Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:24:42 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        dg@root.com, mturpin@shadow.spel.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network adapters: Technical issues

> EtherExpress Pro/100+ PCI" adapter (consistently the most aggressively
> priced)

You want this one.

> Also, we have two problematic 486-based clients. One is a 486 with an EISA
> bus and another is a 486 with VLBus.

We don't (AFAIK) support any 100Mbps adapters on any bus other than PCI.

> Also, I'm aware that the practical throughput of 16-bit ISA is
> 5 MBps, while EISA and VLBus are both a LOT faster. Does it pay to use EISA
> or VLBus cards (if I can find them), or just stick to ISA on the assumption
> that a 486 can't really use the throughput anyway?

You'll find the best performance from a WD8013 clone, or (not as good)
an NE2000 clone.

> Finally, if I go with ISA, PC Zone lists a KTI "32-bit ISA Combo Adapter"
> for $24. Is this a 100BaseTX card? (The catalog entry suspiciously leaves
> out the bit rate.) And, if so, is it supported by the RealTek driver for 2.2.x?

The driver for the RTL8039 only supports the 8039, which is a PCI
device.  Realtek also make the 8029 (A PCI NE2000 clone) and the 8019
(a single-chip ISA NE2000 clone).