Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:23:39 -0400
From:      "Rod Whittlesey" <whitt38@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Major install confusion

Hi.

	I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 on a Maxtor drive that has Windows 98 on
it already. I went out and bought Partition Commander after I somehow wiped
out my hard drive the first time I tried to install. When I start the pc, an
HP 233 mhz I get a screen asking which partition I want to boot from. Fine,
this is what I want, the new FreeBSD partition was created.

	When I boot with the install CD, sysinstall automatically starts and I can
get to into the FDISK partition editor but my new partition doesn't show up.
There is what looks like almost the entire disk, and then a 9 meg slice that
doesn't correspond to the 3 gig slice I had set up with Partition Commander.

	In The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey there are other options, but I am
being check-mated on all of them. My 1.44M floppies all say they can hold
1,457,664 bytes but BOOT.FLP and KERN.FLP are each 1,474,560 bytes (20k more
than the floppies), so I can't copy them. I tried RAWRITE too but it gets to
a certain point and says something about a bad sector (Scandisk says there
are no bad sectors). I think it really ran out of space.

	There are references to INSTALL.EXE and VIEW.EXE that could be run from a
Microsoft partition. They're supposed to be on the install CD but don't
exist. (pages 29 and 69).

	Has anybody run into any of these problems? Where would I find the
Install.exe and/or view.exe files?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rod