Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2016 18:34:09 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

On 2016-Feb-08 01:53:06 +0100, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st> wrote:
>hmm?  The fact that it builds on a dirty host system is a liability; its
>a major flaw.  The typical Synth build environment is the host base
>system minus the installed packages, so that's clearly superior.

There's nothing in that statement that makes Synth "clearly superior"
to portmaster.  It suggests that Synth might be an alternative to
poudriere.

How does Synth handle ports that depend on themselves (Modula, Java and
Go, off the top of my head)?  Does this mean that if I already have a
JDK installed, Synth is going to download one of the JDK packages anyway,
just so it can build a new JDK in a "clean" environment?

And there are also a number of cases where a port's dependency can be
fulfilled by a number of unrelated ports - eg graphics/jpeg and
graphics/jpeg-turbo can both fulfil a dependency on libjpeg.so.  How
does Synth decide which to use?

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2