Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        ak03@gte.com (Alexander N. Kabaev), dmmiller@cvzoom.net (Donn Miller), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overwhelming messages from /sys/netinet/if_ether.c

> > > The message in question can be extremely useful in case there is IP address
> > > clash on the local network. I suggest we just change the code in question to
> > > ignore clashes over 0.0.0.0 address only.
> >
> > No, don't do that, anyone arping 0.0.0.0 on any network around here
> > I sure as heck want to know about it asap!
>
> Then use a tool designed for the job.  You'll only get this message on a
> system that's a DHCP client and currently trying to get a lease.  I don't
> think that you would ever get any utility from the code as it stands, so
> the change is not going to affect you.

I get plenty of utility from it as it stands.  Any time I see one of these
in a syslog I go track it down and shoot the cause.

> (Note that if you were to configure a system to listen on 0.0.0.0 in
>  order to use this message, you would then be arping for 0.0.0.0, which
>  would appear to defeat your purpose.)

My use of the message has nothing to do with wanting to use 0.0.0.0, it's
another part of the diagnostics used in maintaining networks for people.
Knowing that someone is arping 0.0.0.0 lets me know someone has jacked
into one of the networks and trying to either use DHCP or has mis-configured
thier box, or is trying to hack.

I won't object to the change if a sysctl knob is put around it, that
defaults to the way things are now, if someone doesn't care to see
these messages due to being on borked networks, fine, let them turn
it off.

> Can I kindly suggest that you go find a bridge or a dam or some
> gun-control law to go oppose for a few months?  This random sniper
> activity is pretty irritating. 8(

It is not random sniper activity.  I've been on this list since it
was created.  I respond when I have something to say and am silent
when I have nothing to say.

Also that comment is un-called for, it's on the edge of policy violation,
and I expect to be respected, no matter how much you may dislike me.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net