Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:31:35 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DeCSS

Peter Wemm wrote:

> I would love to make a port of this, for reasons that become obvious once you
> see the page.  (Think of all the mailing list archives and mirrors)
>
> http://www.totse.com/DeCSS/
>
> Be sure to read it before commenting, it's not what you might think.

I can't help keeping wondering if this MAA
is missing the point completely: why would
someone need the decryption to make a _copy_ ?
A copy is a copy and it appears to me that
the encrypted bits written on the disk surface
could be copied just exactly as well as the
decrypted bits. Probably the real reason they
start this activity is because otherwise they
would lose some kind of royalties from the
DVD-players manufacturers.

-SB