Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:07:43 -0800
From:      Joaquin Menchaca <linuxuser@finnovative.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Conncetion sharing

meka@softhome.net wrote:

> What are the basic steps to do this? I have working LAN (everyone can
> ping and ssh to anyone) and this machine can go to internet. I would
> like to make it a gateway but no succes. This machine has fxp0 as LAN
> interface. Thanx. :o)

Hi.  Do you have two network cards or one?  I'm assuming one is
connected to the Internet, and the other is connected to the regular LAN
network.  You can route them using the route add command, and once you
get it working you can put these into the rc.conf to make the change
permanent.  The handbook has a lot of details on this.

Also, making BSD a gateway router is not very safe unless you use a
firewall.  Currently I am using FreeBSD at home, and I am attempting to
make it a router.  However, I don't want to use it as a gateway/router
until I master using it as a firewall as well.

regards,
 Joaquin