Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:30:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD bugs)
Subject:   "proc: table is full" loading packages 2.1.5-RELEASE(CD)

In addition to packages being missing completely or being of a
different version in the INDEX than in the All directory (radius,
qpop, wine, mkmf, flex, libident, msql, rzsz and vim to name just
a few) of which you are probably already aware, after loading
several packages (I'm sorry I don't know just how many) from the
installation kernel booted from the floppy via NFS to a FreeBSD
2.1.0-R machine, I started getting

Add of package XXX aborted due to some error -
Please check the debug screen for more info.

DEBUG: Request for packages/All/XXX.tgz from NFS
"proc: table is full"
DEBUG: Caught SIGPIPE while trying to install the XXX package
DEBUG: Switching back to VTY1

where XXX was the name of package after package (once this started,
all the rest of my package load requests got the same treatment).
Obviously, this sounds like something isn't doing a "wait()" that
ought to be.

I'm sorry that I don't know just how many packages were loaded before
this started to happen -- after it was all done, 37 packages showed
up in pkg_info -I -a as being added.

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417