Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:47:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aliased IPs

Quoth Deepwell Internet:

> Are there people running full production webserver off of one IP address?
> Have you had any problems?

I definitely *won't* have any problems when I deplete my assigned IP space
and go to RIPE (living in Europe) to request more.  You *will* have
trouble getting new space if you've assigned all of your space to web
hosts to cater for a very, very tiny minority of people who can be easily
taken care of just as easily and almost as transparent in other ways.

Yes.  One IP address (to bind them all), no complaints.  It has the added
advantage that you can keep a 'hot spare' box with identical configuration
in storage, and if a web server craps out, just bring up an alias
interface with that IP address and continue with virtually no downtime.

	-- Niels.