Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:40:06 -0800
From:      perikillo <perikillo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question; security logs

   I normally close all the listening ports, i like the docs of Dru
Lavigne check this one:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/08/08/FreeBSD_Basics.html

   Them i go to www.unixcircle.com there you can find one portscanner
to test your machine, but right now they are rebuilding the site.

   If your machine dosent have any server running you need to have
ports listening:

root# sockstat -4

   This show you all the ports listening.

   If you have some ports listening, check the services manpage and
check how can you disable or listening only local information.

   There must be more sites where you can find portscanners to test
your machine, if some else know others site i will like to know  to
:-).

   One good google search will good :-)

   Good luck!!!