Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:50:21 +0200
From:      Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.co.yu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

> From: Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
> i can eject the disk just fine (which in itself is weird, i think).... the device is still there...
> umount /dev/cd0
> works fine and off it goes. other than that, no, i havent tried to access the device in question

I never saw that behaviour. It really should not eject.
As you, I use scsi emulation, with no acd device at all.

This topic is extremely interesting. For me, unmounting usb
device is not so hard to do. I remember -r flag to mount
with just read option. So, if hand follows the brain impuls,
put another impuls to unmount it first.

                                    Zoran