Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:19:59 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Anton Vinokurov <anton@inorg.chem.msu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot from USB ZIP or USB HDD

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 06:10:08PM +0300, Anton Vinokurov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there any way to boot FreeBSD from USB flash device which can be detected
> as 'usb zip' by BIOS?
>
> I have EasyDisk 32M flash device, which can be formatted under Windows as
> bootable, and my motherboard could boot Windows from it, same time writing
> standart FreeBSD boot block and label as described in handbook (fine for my
> HDD) results in displaying '-' sign at the first moment of system boot,
> following by hangup.
>
> I should buy USB HDD capable flash device (unfortunately my EasyDisk support
> only USB ZIP) and try again, or it is completely impossible to boot FreeBSD
> from usb flash?

As long as the BIOS serves it as a normal disk there is no reason why
FreeBSB couldn't boot from it.
You already wrote that this is true.
As long as FreeBSD support the drive in general there is not reason why
you can't have the / filesystem on it.
If both points hold true there is no difference in having a traditional
connected disk.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de