Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:12:05 +0400
From:      "Alexander Bubnov" <alexander.bubnov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   known problem about SATA CD-ROM

Hi,

I have the same problem as describe here
http://arkiv.freebsd.se/?ml=freebsd-proliant&a=2008-03&t=6875944

shortly:
acd0: DVDR  SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (1 retry left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (0 retries left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (1 retry left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (0 retries left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG timed out
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (1 retry left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retraying (0 retries left)
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG timed out

the answer is here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-March/084572.html

shortly:
The system will reboot properly if you load ipmi module and specify watchdog
timeout in 60 seconds.

# kldload ipmi
# watchdog -t 60; reboot

You can create handy alias.
alias reboot 'watchdog -t 60; /sbin/reboot'

I didn't have any issue with DVD drive when it was running 6.3/7.0.

similar problem can be found here too:
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/2008-06/msg00171.html

this one solved by editing sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma to 0.

Now, I am trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 (or 6.3, it does not metter for me).
Can you please let me know how can I change hw.ata.atapi_dma or
kldload ipmi module when I do not have installed FreeBSD on my
machine? how can I change standard install distributive?

How is it possible to install FreeBSD with that problem having one sata cdrom?

Thanks in advance.

--
/BR, Alexander