Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:27:10 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Atte Peltomaki" <atte.peltomaki@iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AC3 throughput via S/PDIF

/-- "Atte Peltomaki" wrote:
| >  Does -CURRENT audio driver (SB Live!) support AC3 audio throughput v=
ia
| >  S/PDIF to an external DD5.1/DTS decoder? Last time I checked (year a=
go)
| >  it didn't. This actually forced me to switch to Linux on desktop bac=
| >  then, since my attempts to understand and fix the sourcecode failed
| >  miserably.
| =

| Allright - I figured out the sourcecode far enough to realize there's n=
| support. Most likely it's not a feature with very high priority either,=

| at least I feel that way after many sent mails with no replies.

As one of the sound committers I can confirm that this is not on any map =
I'm =

aware of.  There are limited resources in the sound development departmen=
t.  =

If you are interested in doing this, we're happy to answer questions, and=
 =

provide whatever help we can along the way, and of course, commit it when=
 it's =

sufficiently polished.

- Orion