Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, rh@alpine.net
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

(Now getting into sync serial cards on a FreeBSD box vs. a separate
router.)

We've been around the block more than once on this question, without a
definitive resolution.  Check the archives; it's really personal
preference, plus your specific needs.

In the past, Dennis has asserted without providing evidence that
"entry-level" routers like the Pipe130 or the Livingston OR-HS office
router aren't really up to handling a full T-1.  (Note I'm not saying
he's wrong; just that he asserted it without backing it up.)

I'm currently evaluating an SDL WANic (PCI card, dual sync ports that
will each do up to ca. 8 Mb/s).  So far, so good; I did notice that
when I plugged in a T-1 that had been on a Livingston IRX-114 router,
the ping rtt over the T-1 went from 7 ms to 4 ms.  I suspect the ET
card would do just as well.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.