Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 00:10:20 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mdoc(7) vs. example.? vs. real man pages

   As you may just have seen from a recent problem report, David
O'Brien brought up the issue of inconsistant documentation.

   So here's the deal.  There are several different disagreeing
ideas here:

     - Real manual pages.  Take a look at chmod(1).  It's got the
       BUGS listing above SEE ALSO.  Compare with mdoc(7) and
       example.1 in /usr/share/examples/mdoc
     - /usr/share/examples/mdoc/example.?.  These conflict with
       mdoc(7) in the way of ordering sections.  BUGS here are at
       the very bottom.

   How are we going to deal with this?  I propose (due to
preference) that mdoc(7) be updated to reflect the type of layout
that's in the example manual pages.

   Can anybody give feedback so we can reach a conclusion and
make everything consistent?

--