Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:57:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Michael Robinson'" <robinson@netrinsics.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Linux JDK on FreeBSD

> > I understand and respect that.  I also appreciate the
> > effort you have put into the project.  However, I also
> > understand that you are only one person, and not even the
> > "FreeBSD Project Lead for Java".  Hopefully others here
> > appreciate all the issues as well as you do.
>
> Greg is only one person, and indeed not even FreeBSD Java lead. Technically,
> your observations are correct.

That would be my title, I guess. :)

> However, Greg is the most active member of what could be loosely called a
> FreeBSD Java porting team. He has rallied most of the FreeBSD/Java
> enthousiasts behind him. In practice, Greg is the man. 'Nuff said.

As the self-annointed lead, I would agree with this.  I have done very
little 'technical' work on FreeBSD-Java.

However, in my defense, I've been spending my time playing phone tag
with Sun/WC/BSDi/OpenGroup, and other commercial companies and volunteer
organizations trying to keep the ball rolling.  This is *not* a strength
of mine, but someone has to do it, and it just so happens that being in
the US means it's much easier for me to do it.

Things are happening, albeit slowly.  The engineers I've been speaking
with at Sun and BSDi have been very forthcoming, but the lawyers create
so many hoops that we have to jump through that very little concrete
help has been coming our way.  But, if we give up jumping through the
hoops we won't get anywhere. :(

Patience grasshopper, all will come in it's own time. :)

Nate