Date:      Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:07:28 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Jordan Evans <mindwalkernine@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: screen resolution configuraton

Jordan Evans wrote:
> I like to test out new Linux distros.  I bought the Linux Identity Kit,
> FreeBSD 7.0  magazine and  installed FreeBSD with the Gnome desktop
> manager.  My laptop display is 1280 x 1024, but gnome is displaying a larger
> resolution.  I've tried set the screen resolution using
> System->Preferences->Screen Resolution, but no resolutions show up in the
> pop-up menu.  I also recieve an error at that point.
>
> Error: An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information
> for gnome-display-properties. Some of your configuration settings may not
> work properly.
>
> Error Details: Bad key or directory name:
> "/desktop/gnome/screen//0/resolution": Can't have two slashes (/) in a row

This is a problem with a missing hostname.  Make sure you've defined a
hostname in /etc/rc.conf, then reboot.

> As a second option to attempt to fix this problem I used xorgconfig, but my
> model is not listed.  I used defaults for the model.  I heard LCD don't have
> refresh rates, nor is it listed in the online specs for my laptop, so I just
> gave it the widest range.  I was unable to generate a xorg.conf file that
> didn't cause safe mode to start up at boot.
>
> I don't know what else to try.
>
> My computer is a IBM T-22 with a TFT Active Matrix display, 24 bit.  I tried
> getting more info on my display with dmesg(8), but I didn't see anything
> usefull.

I found
http://freegnu.blogspot.com/2008/05/ubuntu-or-kubuntu-on-ibm-thinkpad-t21.html
which had a sample xorg.conf for the T22.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org