Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:22:14 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Ayan George <ayan@kiwi.hefty.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Learning SGML

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 12:18:43PM -0500, Ayan George wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good SGML book for use with the SGML tools
> available for FreeBSD?

Depends what you need.  If you don't need to know much about SGML, but
just how to write DocBook, then take a look at

    http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/primer/

(which will be moving in to the FreeBSD 'official' documentation set soon)

It also covers much of the SGML theory that you'll need.

    http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/

is the definitive web resource.

You might like to try _SGML for Dummies_.  Crap title, but quite
informative, and well presented.

And there's also _DocBook:  The definitive guide_.  More info at the
(incomplete) website,

    http://www.docbook.org/

Note that the text of this book will be FREELY DOWNLOADABLE (it isn't yet).
But if anyone finds it useful (and I think *anyone* that helps contribute
docs to the project will) I'd urge them to shell out the money for it
when it's released.  The author, Norm Walsh, is a *good bloke* -- we use
his stylesheets to format the online and print versions of the Handbook.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--