Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 2010 05:26:34 +0000
From:      dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Server  cannot boot :  mount root>   got stuck

Fellow FreeBSDians=2C=20

 I am experiencing a problem with my FreeBSD server box. I can't  get the s=
ystem up. when I boot the machine its boots asking for boot options=2C and =
going with the default boot option
This is an old freeBSD server box with FreeBSD-6.1

then its reaching  mount root>    =20

after that nothing=2C   its  stuck on this  prompt  mount root>

 mount root>

I didn't do anything=2C  day before yesterday its working..=20
Yesterday when I tried to login from my desktop =2C  it not allowing  me to=
 login through my ssh keys
 so I checked physically the server and connected a monitor=2C seeing   the=
   boot splash image is garbled with some alphabetic characters.. and tried=
 to reboot=2C hardware reboot.
But  it reaching the boot splash image of FreeBSD with   boot options  disp=
layed=2C but what ever boot option I select =2C it not going further=2C but=
 reboots again to the boot splash image screen.

Today morning  I just took its hard disk and connected to another box havin=
g same specs
Then I started the box=2C with the harddisk  of my server ...=2C  then it g=
oing after the boot=2C so I thought issues over...

But my bad=2C this time  it comes to a  prompt  mount root >     and stuck =
there..

No key board inputs works  in   mount root>      prompt

Any hints to recover this  issue=2C  most appreciated=2C and this is a  pro=
duction server =2C and I want it up as early as possible.

Thanks in Advance
Dhanesh
 		 	   		 =20
Bollywood This Decade