Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:20:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
Subject:   Re: DPT driver?

On 16-Mar-98 Eivind Eklund wrote:

..

> The DPT is a specific SCSI chipset (or at least a specific vendor).
> The DPT driver only work for those cards.  The vendor has a web-page
> at "http://www.dpt.com/".

A bit of background;  Most DPt PCi cards actually have a Qlogic chip
burried within.  I do not know of any way of getting to them from the
system bus.

The way we talk to the DPT card, is via a protocol called EATA.  It is an
Extended ATA, and an ANSI standard.  The protocol is basically a DMA
arrangement of mailboxes.  The next patch to the DPT driver will include in
usr.sbin/dpt, a file called DPTdesign.{lyx,ps}.  There is more information
there.  Unlike most/many other SCSI HBA vendors,  ALL DPT cards since the
mid 1980's use this very same protocol.

The next generation cards speak I2O and this will be available to FreeBSD
too.  Once I get the card & docs to write the drivers (which are ``on the
way'').