Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:29:04 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns/bind916 builds rust unexpectedly

Hi all,

<george+freebsd@m5p.com>:
>=20
> On 9/25/23 11:38, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> [...]
>> There is a more general aspect to this. In the rest of the unix world =
software is now almost universally build using CI systems and =
buildboxes, people use binary packages almost all the time in linux. =
Developers don't care to keep low overhead in their builds and with =
dependency. The ports tree cannot mitigate this external pressure.
>> Anyway building from ports on live machines has always been bad =
practice for a lot of reasons.
>> [...]
> And yet it mostly works for some of us.  I'd be overjoyed to sign up
> with the program (using packages only) if packages not using CUPS
> (that would run with unassisted lpr) were available, let's say as a
> flavor.  But until then ...                               -- George

really not intending to be the wise guy, but if you have any significant
number of machines to manage and special package requirements,
please by all means run poudriere. It's a marvelous piece of software.

We went that way early 2017 and never looked back.

Kind regards,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen
.infrastructure

Sophienstr. 187
76185 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info@punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: Daniel Lienert, Fabian Stein