Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/20555: 3C509 driver performance problem

The following reply was made to PR misc/20555; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To: xyf@stocke.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 01:11:11 -0400

 On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 06:46:39PM -0700, xyf@stocke.com wrote:
 > FreeBSD uses more CPU time than Linux, FreeBSD CPU idle is 40%,
 > Linux CPU idle is 60%, almost 20% CPU lost in FreeBSD!

 How do you know top(1) doesn't measure CPU idle time on Linux
 differently than it does on FreeBSD?  (I don't know whether they do or
 not, for the record, but I do know things like load averages are
 measured differently..)

 Plus, with no real way to "fix" this "problem", this PR is rather bogus.
 If it is determined that the 3c509 driver sucks in terms of performance,
 patches to increase its efficiency and such are quite acceptable.  :)

 Besides, no one in their right mind that worries about performance is
 going to use a 3c509...

 --
 Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
 GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---