Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 10:25:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>
Cc:        Jack Velte <jackv@earthling.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Linux is UNIX, and FreeBSD is not?"

On Fri,  5 June 1998 at 12:29:51 -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:

>>> is anyone working on this issue?  did i hear someone
>>> volunteer jordan?  uh.  would someone else like to
>>> work on it?
>>
>> We discussed this a while back.  We decided that UNIX 98% validation
>> was counterproductive.
>
> 	Counterproductive because it would drain away from primary
> development, or was there another reason?  While the standards are kind of
> bogus in most respects, they have their advantages.

My recollection was that UNIX 98% was designed to be more compatible
with other operating systems and less compatible with UNIX.  I don't
know about UNIX 98%, but the previous version, UNIX 95%, was attained
by Microsoft NT and IBM OS/390.  I can't put my finger on the
messages, but the general feeling was that FreeBSD would be less
effective if it were to adhere to UNIX 98%.  There was also a
considerable amount of money involved.

Greg