Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:06:36 +0700 (ICT)
From:      pirat sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Cc:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, David Knapp <dknapp@luciamar.k12.ca.us>, "newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Difference between Linux and FreeBSD

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Sean Harding wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>
> > Linux is free monetarily, but constrained in certain ways by the GPL.  In
>
> Agreed. I just was basically pointing out the fact that the statement
> "FreeBSD is free" without any explanation is misleading and will most
> likely be misunderstood by anyone who hasn't read up on the GPL vs. BSD
> License debate. And someone who knew about that sort of thing probably
> wouldn't be here asking about the difference between FreeBSD and Linux :-)
>
> It's important to be clear when people are new and asking questions. We
> should try to avoid misleading or confusing them at all costs.

oh great.
sure i understand bsd style license, it is in appendix f of the complete
freebsd by greg lehey (second edition). i myself skim over bsd style but
roughly.

as long as one use freebsd for oneself for educational purpose,
for research work, not for commercial, one can say that freebsd is free
and so does linux. we care also about license.

thanks for your explanation.  it bring me to another one step ahead from
what i use to be.

rgds,
Pirat Sriyotha

Office of Atomic Energy for Peace