Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:14:49 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        William Bulley <web@merit.edu>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 01:18:42PM -0400, William Bulley wrote:
> According to Andreas Klemm:
> >
> > > 1) I don't know who the "port maintainer" is...
> >
> > In the ports directory there is a Makefile.
> > Within the Makefile there is a line
> > 	MAINTAINER=	e-mail-address
>
> Thanks.
>
> > > 2) I'm not certain what "updating the port" means and if that would
> > >    be considered (by the FreeBSD folks) as risking copyright issues
> >
> > Ports collection is a Berkeley make Macro mechanism.
> > A "make all install" does everything from fetching from internet,
> > extract source in workdir, doing local changes via patches, compiling,
> > installing ... everything automatically.
> >
> > See http://www.freebsd.org/ports
>
> Yep, I know that.  But if the "port" is wrong, the "port maintainer in
> item #1 above would need to "update the port" -- it is this part that
> I am unfamiliar with.  One could postulate many different ways to "update
> the port" theoretically...  :-)
>
> > > 3) there are no diffs, each release is self-contained and stands
> > >    by itself, once we release, the old version is considered obsolete
> >
> > But this release has a certain name and needs perhaps other local
> > diffs to make it into /usr/local ... and it has perhaps other
> > installed files, so the ports PLIST file needs certainly an update,
> > which is needed to install and remove ported software cleanly.
>
> Each release of the Merit AAA Server has "a name" -- more properly a
> version number.  It needs no local diffs -- it compiles/links/runs
> just fine on FreeBSD.  It comes self-contained with all the files it
> needs.

The local diffs are not so much you software itself, it is just where
the software installs. The default on FreeBSD is /usr/local. But a
person might choose /opt. He can set that global. The patches in
the port basicly take care of changing the Makefile of your
software and any source files which maybe have hard coded file names.

A patch might also fix compile warnings or errors, but that depends
on the software.

> > Then the port gets a variable
> > NO_CDROM
> > in the Makefile ....
>
> Then that is something for the "ports maintainer" to add to the diffs
> area.
>
> Regards,
>
> web...
>
> --
> William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
> Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu
> 4251 Plymouth Road, Suite C        Phone: (734) 764-9993
> Ann Arbor, Michigan  48105-2785    Fax:   (734) 647-3185
>
> [ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
> [ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
> [ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]

Regards, Ulf.