Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:38:26 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

  Damien,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:09:55AM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
D> I'm having an increasingly difficult time defending FreeBSD in our
D> company against the advances of debian kfree which is much easier to
D> maintain.
D> Can we get back to the 4.x release style and, hopefully, see some 9.7,
D> 9.8... ?
D>
D> Check this PR I opened some months ago:
D> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161123&cat=kern
D>
D> It was planned for 9.0-RELEASE, there is no mention of 8.x
D> That's just the kind of problem John raises here.
D>
D> I can't keep on defending FreeBSD when the minor fix to a major bug
D> isn't backported, and only makes it to the next major version, 4 or 5
D> months from now.

Hey, what's the problem here? Fix for kern/161123 has been committed to
stable/8!

You reminded me, and I promptly did merge, w/o any argument, albeit I have
no ability to test it properly on stable/8. I trust you, that you have tested
in on stable/8, but if anything breaks, guess who would be blamed: me or you?

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.