Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 23:02:04 +0200
From:      Stefan Hauser <etienne@imp.ch>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:59:03AM +1000, Toby Hutton wrote:

> > My DVD drive isn't detected unless I wait for about a minute to boot the
>
> YES!  I've been getting this but I hadn't found a way to fix it - I've
> been DVD-less for weeks.  I'll try this waiting thing out, thanks!

got my inspiron 8000 on friday, and it's running 4.3 since a few hrs later :-)
dvd works nice, if you wait the min. just be patient..
but would be nice, if that get's fixed.

> > > Also, I can't suspend/resume which I am told is because of a BIOS bug which
> > > sucks but there's not much to be done about that :)
> > > (I can induce a suspend/resume OK but when the laptop comes back the fxp card
> > > spits millions of 'SCB timeout' and 'DMA timeout', and it seems the ata
> > > controller wedges, or doesn't reinit the controller).
>
> APM is the only thing not working for me now.  I get 'resetting ATA
> devices' upon waking up or something similar and the machine freezes.
> I'm not going to freeze it now to get the proper messages... :)

hmm. apm works for me. no problem at all. but i don't have the internal
network/modem card. it's only the modem (lucent), and i put a 3com 574 in the
pcmci slot.
but apm tells me, my battery will last for 5:50hr, if it's at 100%. about
twice, as it really lasts.

> So for me, installing FreeBSD involved:
> Polling mode didn't work for the PCIC - gave it IRQ 10, fixed.

i put it on 9.

> Everything else, including XFree86 4.03 @ 1400x1050 works beautifully.

here too. really nice to work with it.

 etienne