Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:55:31 +0100
From:      jmdupx@yahoo.com
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q please

anyone have  tips on installing without boot floppies, ie. getting the
install started without kern and mfsroot disks ?

I have a strange VL-bus machine that will just not accept being
booted from any kind of floppy disk (DOS, Linux, FBSD and
Windows 98 boot floppies all tried so far without success)

I have tried I dont know how many different combinations of different
hard-disk controllers and disk types and floppy controllers, and the
only time the machine ever boots normally from a floppy is if it
detects NO hdd controllers  at all !  otherwise it just starts reading
the floppy but then hangs after 10 to 20 seconds, depending on
which boot-disk

In the end I got the machine running DOS and some diagnostics
programs by transplanting a hard disk. I can also boot linux on it
with Loadlin from the DOS partition, so Im pretty sure all the
components are OK individually.  My guess is it's probably just the
BIOS at fault, but that is not flashable, so I need a workaround
more than a cure

Im crazy and should probably just abandon the machine, but apart
from that it runs fine and I had plans to run it as a test-machine or
spare server, once I got something installed on it - the question is
just how

Mark
jmdupx@yahoo.com