Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Loren Koss <loren@pciway.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Still having problems with NIC alias..

Only the primary IP address will respond on the network.  Why is
this??  The alias IP will respond if I ping it from the box itself.  But
wont respond if I ping from the network its attached to or through the
other nic i have in the box..

Diagram

--------------| rl0 a.b.c.d (primary ip)   192.168.1.1 rl1 |-----------
Internet            a.b.c.e (alias ip)                      Internal Net

Machines from the internal net can get to the internet just fine through
the gateway, so I know that is set up properly.  Can someone help
me?  This used to work..  I just cant figure it out now..

If I change my rc.conf file to make a.b.c.e the primary and a.b.c.d the
alias than the reverse holds true for addresses that are accessible or
not.

Thanks..

Loren Koss
http://www.checkthegrid.com
Before you go to the movies...Check The Grid!