Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:23:26 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drivers for network devices on new T520

> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:05:22 -0700
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Last week I received my new Lenovo T520 laptop and ran into immediate
> issues.
>
> First, the keyboard (ATKBD) causes the boot process on 8.2 to
> fail. There is a fix, but it has not been included in 8-Stable, so
> installing 8.0 and then upgrading while installing the required fix
> would work. It did, but it means I have 8.0 and I quickly learned that
> 8.0 did not recognize either my wireless or wired network cards. This
> makes upgrading a bit difficult. I'd expected issues with the wireless,
> but I had no idea the wired Ethernet world be a problem.
>
> I am hoping that I can get one of the existing drivers to work by adding
> the appropriate PCI IDs, but I don't know if it will work or which
> driver to try.
>
> The output of 'pciconf -lv' shows:
> none4@pci0:3:0:0:      class=0x028000 card=0x819510ec chip=0x817610ec
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>     vendor	= 'Realtek Semiconductor'
>     class	= network
>
> and
>
> none1@pci0:0:25:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x21ce17aa chip=0x15028086
> rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
>     vendor	= 'Intel Corporation'
>     class	= network
>     subclass	= ethernet
>
> This was transcribed by hand, but I think it is accurate.
>
> Do I have any hope? I can replace the wireless card, but the wired
> Ethernet is of much greater concern.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just booted up Windows and see that
the wired interface is an Intel 82579LM and the wireless is listed as a
"1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter.

I am sorry I neglected looking at this before sending my last
message. I'll be surprised if the Intel wired Ethernet is not supported
by some driver in 8.0.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)